What happens in a lesson?
Every lesson consists of three elements:
- Sitting and standing from a chair, in order to learn the basic principles from this simple movement
- Lying on a table in semi-supine, to allow the spine and the intervertebral discs to recover, and release unnecessary tension in your muscles
- An activity from daily life, in which we pay attention to how you do it. For instance walking, biking, computer work, playing a musical instrument, sleeping, running, vacuuming etc.
Obviously I use verbal instructions in a lesson. But I am also trained to use my hands to help you free up stiff movements, and to remind you to keep releasing your neck or keep breathing to the ribs.
How much does a lesson cost?
- standard fee 65 euro incl.VAT, if you don’t or only partially pay for the lessons yourself
- reduction fee 55 euro incl.VAT if you have to pay for the lessons yourself
- student/adolescent fee 45 euro incl.VAT
Some people can deduct the VAT and their lessons from taxes. Some people get sponsored by their employers (persoonlijke portefeuille), or performing arts subsidies. Health care insurance companies usually don’t reimburse, but please check this with your own.
Are lessons individual or in groups?
The lessons are individual although I sometimes give introductory workshops or ‘deepen your AT knowledge’ -workshops to small groups. See workshop page.
What do I need to wear?
It is best to come to a lesson in clothes that allow for easy movement.
How long does a lesson last?
Lessons last between 40-50 min. Sometimes I go a little overtime, so it is best not to plan anything just before or immediately after the lesson.
Do I get exercises or homework?
Yes. Learning the Alexander Technique is like learning to play an instrument. it is expected of my Alexander Technique students to do the active-rest exercise for 15 min. every day, and to think of the basic principles during everyday life activities.
How much does a workshop cost?
Individuals can look at the workshop page.
If you would like me to give a workshop for your company or foundation please contact me for more information; email@example.com
How many lessons do I need?
To see whether the Alexander Technique is something for you, you need only two or three lessons. If it appeals to you some people are already greatly helped by a short series of 10 lessons. Others have more complicated problems and need more time. People also come for a longer period because they want to deepen their knowledge.
How often do I get a lesson?
Lessons are weekly, although in the beginning the process will speed up a lot if you have two lessons a week. This will save time and money because you learn faster.
Later, your lessons will be less frequent until you continue on your own, independent from me.
Why isn’t the Alexander Technique called alexander therapy?
The Alexander Technique is a form of re-education. You will learn a technique that you will be able to apply to all your daily activities. After a series of lessons you will have the means to take care of your own health, coordination, calm and well being. It is not a passive treatment where you are dependent on the therapist for cure; you actively learn a lot and take responsibility for yourself. Having said that, the therapeutic effects can of course be big, and pains and complaints can diminish or disappear.
What is unique about the Alexander Technique?
- release of what is unnecessary, instead of doing something else, only creating tension in a different area and shifting the problem.
- re-programming the brain to re-coordinate movement and change habit.
- having the means to be in the present moment.
- asking for free, full and natural breathing during daily activities.
- efficiency: you put the Alexander Technique into practice during your daily life: you don’t have to stop doing what you are doing.
- focusing on coordinating the whole body, rather than the part where the problem lies. Often the cause of the problem is not found in the part that hurts/feels tense.
- asking for lengthening and widening without strain.
- unity: the Alexander Technique addresses the whole you: what you think, what you do and how you feel are constantly influencing each other.
- enhancing your awareness of the space and yourself in it, at any moment you wish.